LATEST NEWS

Martes, Enero 17, 2017

Review: Ilawod


Ilawod (January 18, 2017)
Directed By: Dan Villegas
Starring:  Ian Veneracion, Iza Calzado, Xyriel Manabat, Harvey Bautista, and Terry Malvar
Genre: Horror/Suspense/Thriller
 
I was able to watch the movie “Ilawod” and I was really impressed with the movie. It is a classic horror movie that tells the story of a journalist who doesn’t believe in these supernatural happenings that he is covering, until one day he himself experience bizarre things that slowly destroys his family.
The movie stars Ian Veneracion as Dennis and Iza Calzado as Cathy, Xyriel Manabat and Harvey Bautista played as their children Bea and Ben. Surprisingly, Ian and Iza’s big screen team up was really good they actually got good chemistry.
Going back to the movie, the family of Dennis began to fall apart, starting with his eldest son Ben, who’s started to become rebellious after meeting a girl named Isla (Terry Malvar) things became more complicated as his sister Bea started to experience bizarre hallucinations caused by the girl.
One thing I liked about the movie is that the storytelling was really simple and not too complex, it is as if I am watching a horror version of a romcom movie of Direk Dan Villegas. Though the movie wasn't really that horrifying for me, still it was an astounding one.  
I was quite annoyed with the musical scoring because it really kept me at the edge of my seat waiting for someone to surprise me, though it was one of the reasons why the movie became shocking and hair raising as I think every time the scene changes the musical score intensifies as if there’s someone or something waiting to shock or surprise the audiences.
The dark ambiance of the movie added the chilling and eerie effect to the film, it’s just that the set of the movie was a bit too simple and bland as I am used to horror films that has a great set design. The only thing I liked about the location is the one in the province specially the lurid river.
There are certain parts in the movie, especially the scenes where the characters of Ben and Isla became too intimate might turn off other viewers, but for me Harvey and Terry were able to make it decent and not too obscene for their age.
In the final part of the movie I felt that something was lacking in the resolution part of the story, or maybe because I wasn’t used to the finale imposed by the director. Anyway, for me the lesson that Ilawod wanted to share with people is that parents should really take care of their kids, especially those who are crossing the puberty period are very vulnerable and also we should respect every belief and practice and even those elements in every place we visit.   
Overall, Ilawod is a great film that will make you scream and leave you at the edge of your seat. The story is good, it is fluid and not too complex. If you are looking for a good horror movie Ilawod is the movie for you.  
 
Rating: 9 out 10

Share this:

Mag-post ng isang Komento

 
Copyright © 2014 Big Beez Buzz. Designed by OddThemes | Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates