LATEST NEWS

Biyernes, Marso 15, 2024

Indie Music on the Rise: Listen to Donna Gift's "Ikaw ba o Ako"

The month of love might be over, but songs about love are all year round. 


Independent songs from various independent singers and songwriters has been flooding different music streaming platforms these past few years and we chanced upon one Indie song on the music streaming app Spotify performed by Donna Gift Ricafrente entitled “Ikaw ba o Ako”. 


Donna Gift’s name might ring a bell as she is one of the grand finalist of Tawag ng Tanghalan year 4 back in 2021. Although she failed to cop the title in the competition that was won by JM Yosures, Donna is pursuing her career in music as she dropped her newest single on Spotify which is “Ikaw ba o Ako?”.   


For Donna Gift, interpreting the song was easy as it was a very catchy song and very relatable, "Pumasok agad sa systema ko" she added.



The song was written by Feb Cabahug and for Donna working with her was easy and she liked it that Feb is very open to suggestions when it comes to finishing of the song.


We got a chance to had a short chat with the composer of the song, Feb Cabahug, read out interview with her below:



  1. What’s the inspiration behind the song “Ikaw ba o Ako” 


- It was about my friend who's been going through some struggles with her lovelife. She (I won't be mentioning her name because they're okay na) asked me one day "Feb, gawan mo ako ng kanta" and I went for it. But it took me a year to really finish the song, because I wasn't in it... Like, wala naman akong heartaches na pinagdadaanan. 


  1. As an independent songwriter, how difficult it is to create songs like “Ikaw ba o Ako” 


- With "Ikaw Ba O Ako?" I struggled for a year to complete it since it was based from someone's experience. Now if I turn the tables and this was my story, I might have finished the song faster. 



  1. Why did you choose Donna Gift as the interpreter of your song? 


- She was actually chosen by Sam Valdecantos (from the Boxers who arranged the music). I just submitted the song to Sam and he said, "I know someone who can sing this". The song kasi is very dramatic and mataas ung range and Donna is the perfect fit because of her voice. She sings every note with her heart, sort of like sharing a story with melodies. 


  1. Who are your musical icons? 


- I look up to Trina Belarmide and Odette Quesada when it comes to songwriting. Regine Velasquez, Gary V and Kuh Ledesma for my OPM favorites. In the international scene I love Sza, Ella Mai (British singer), Brenda Russel, Mariah Carey, Tori Kelly, Babyface madami sila hehe. 


  1. Give us a little background on how you started out in writing songs. 


- I started at 7 when I saw this poem from a textbook. I read it and then started humming, then it progressed to singing. From there, I've been writing songs up to this day.



Ikaw ba o Ako is already available on Spotify and Youtube Music, you can listen to the song below. 




Share this:

1 komento :

 
Copyright © 2014 Big Beez Buzz. Designed by OddThemes | Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates