LATEST NEWS

Sabado, Disyembre 31, 2022

#MMFF2022 My Teacher




My Teacher: 

Paul Soriano

Toni Gonzaga, Joey De Leon, Isaiah Dela Cruz, Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte. 

Ten17P and TinCan 


Imagine a classroom composed of students with different personalities. I assume for once, we all had experienced this day-to-day chaotic but memorable school environment. This is literally the exact visualization of My Teacher─a film about a collection of several real-life stories of students, teachers, and people in general pressed into a two-hour narrative.


The movie was actually okay, but it could’ve been better if the story took a hint to movies like “Mila” of Maricel Soriano or Gil Portes’ “Mga Munting Tinig “. I felt there was a lost opportunity to tell or to magnify issues that our teachers are facing in real life, for example is the movie could’ve highlighted how teachers transitioned in the new normal setup of class or how students like Joey de Leon’s character will adapt to blended learning or how were they able adapt in the online learning scheme of schools. I felt the movie has sugarcoated what it’s like to be a public school teacher in the Philippines. 


Again I liked the movie, but I believe that it focused on several subplots and kinda got lost along the way. Good thing the movie was able to redeem itself by focusing on major story points such as the intramurals, the prom, and the graduation. 


I also wished that the movie tackled the story of Ace Biliran (Isaiah Dela Cruz)  and Jude Dimaano (Kych Minemoto), these two characters specially Ace’s character was a big part on how this movie redeemed itself, so I was hoping maybe a separate series for these two. 


I cannot deny that Toni Gonzaga remains an all stunner. Despite the backlash she is receiving after all that she had been through in the past year, she really is the unbothered queen as she still gave a wonderful performance in this movie. 


Joey De Leon on the other hand was a revelation. At 70, Joey working alongside Toni works perfectly and delivers a believable on-screen father-and-daughter-like chemistry. 


Paul Soriano’s filmography is and will always amuse me because of its striking cinematography. His films may not always have the best stories to tell, but he knows how to bring his scripts from paper to frame amazes me. 


My Teacher is a film still worth celebrating even just for a show of appreciation for the Director of Photography or for the hard-working teachers.


Rating: 3.5/5

Share this:

Mag-post ng isang Komento

 
Copyright © 2014 Big Beez Buzz. Designed by OddThemes | Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates